When it comes to dog toys that you’ve had for a while, it could boil down to either throwing them away or giving them a wash.
While cleaning may be a better option for some toys, some others are made of materials and are used in ways which make them unsavable.
But cleaning a toy could work very well for certain types of toys. Your dog may have an emotional connection to some of the playthings you’ve bought him over the years and rescuing them will help you save money as well.
Here’s a look at how you can clean some of your pet’s favourite toys and save them from the bin.
How to Wash Dog Toys Quickly and Effortlessly
The steps involved:
- Start by scraping away all the dirt and debris. This could mean taking a brush and slowly brushing away all sorts of dirt , grass, food or even leaves.
- Depending on the material, you can soak the toys in warm, soapy water. So, if it is a hard toy that is made of plastic or some other material, you can simply soak it in water and wash it with liquid soap. Scrub it clean using either your hand or the sponge you use for dishes. Of course, get a special sponge for these toys. Wash away any imperfections that you can reach and clean.
- Rinse under cool water. Squeaky toys and rubber ones are perfect for this. You can simply wash them under running water and they come out looking as good as new.
- Leave them to air dry on a dry towel.
- Another clever way of getting these toys cleaned is by using a dishwasher. place them on the rack right on top and run them through a hot cycle. This will not only eliminate dirt and debris but also sanitise the toys so that they become extra safe for your pets to use. A combination of hot, gushing water shot out at great pressure works well for both dishes and for the materials dog toys are generally made out of.
- Washing them in the washing machine is also another option. Wash on a gentle cycle along with some great value detergent. After they’ve been carefully cleaned by the machine, you can dry the toys.
- Another creative way to clean your dog’s toys could be by placing it in the microwave. Microwaves are great at generating heat from within and this will ensure the toys are mostly sterilized. Soft and stuffed toys are great for this, but make sure you pay attention to them as they heat and don’t let them stay in for more than a minute. Just to stay safe.
Take care when using microwaves for cleaning. A study showed that microwaves are the most effective way to get bacteria off of household items like sponges and soft toys. But the items could be very hot after the cycle and some are even fire hazards. try to be careful with the cleaning method you choose.
Sometimes, as mentioned before, it’s simply best to get rid of the toys rather than attempt to rescue them by cleaning.
Here’s what you need to get rid of:
- Consider toys that have been chewed a lot to be beyond repair. You must get rid of the ones that aren’t exactly used lightly or that have parts missing, which renders them useless anyway.
- Toys with bits that dangle out are choking hazards and must be disposed off right away. There’s really no use cleaning them.
- Finally, try to see if your dog is eating any of the toys and swallowing it. Besides treat toys, if your dog happens to ingest any other form of toy it could lead to some serious health consequences down the line. Throw away small toys that are at risk of being eaten this way.
Image Courtesy: flickr.com/aldenchadwick